MY LOVE FOR CHIDINMA
After carving a
niche for himself in Nigeria’s music industry as a rapper, Michael
Stephens, popularly known as Ruggedman, has ventured into fashion,
founding the fashion line, Twentieth September Wears, TSW. In this
interview with VIVIAN ANABA, Ruggedman speaks on discovering music,
dovetailing into fashion and why he is yet to get married, among other
issues. Excerpts
HOW was your childhood like?
Growing was not rosy because my parents
separated when I was six and then I went to live with my mum. I think
that got us really close. We were really close because we all had to
fend for each other. My elder sister quit school and did a lot of jobs.
She even modelled to send us to school. But thank God, she is now in the
UK. She went to study abroad. It was a bit rough growing up but that
did not make me a rough person. That did not make me do bad things
because anytime I think of something like that, I tend to remember where
I’m coming from.
When did you discover music?
I can’t pinpoint exactly when but don’t
worry, I’m not going to say from my mother’s womb (laughs). I just
realised that I liked music, so I started watching a lot of musical
shows. I started writing out the lyrics and then I thought of writing my
own songs. It was the passion that was real, so when I found out I
could make my own music, I made mine. And then I realised that people
liked it. So I put it on radio and I got great feedback. While I was in
the university, my first song was out but people did not know I was the
one who sang it. I’m sitting in campus and people will be shouting that
is the song I’m talking about, they were hailing me. When I finished
school, I decided to face my music because I saw that was my calling,
though I studied Political Science in school.
source: sunday nation
Comments
Post a Comment